Jingili Primary School believes in a whole school approach to the teaching and learning of numeracy. We are a member of the Meaningful Maths coalition of schools.
- Mathematics is a core subject and forms a regular part of the daily program.
- The Australian Curriculum is the document that teachers will use for their programing.
- Focussing on the sequence of New Zealand (NZ) Maths global stages through emergent (stage 1) to Advanced Proportional (stage 8).
- Number is the major strand delivered in class programmes and is incorporated across the curriculum where possible to include everyday contexts.
- All other strands will be delivered across each term and revisited regularly to consolidate student knowledge and skills.
- High expectations and interventions are essential.
- Students can achieve high standards given sufficient time and support.
- Teachers can teach to high standards given the right conditions and assistance.
- Teachers will engage in professional learning and be reflective in their practice.
- Teachers will document their learning intentions so that the students will articulate their learning.
- Modelling books will be incorporated as part of teachers and students mathematical resource.
- All teachers will collaboratively plan with their colleagues of a similar year level.
- Teachers will implement programs and focussed explicit teaching in response to deliberate and regular assessment and monitoring.
- Students will be exposed to numeracy specific vocabulary derived from the Australian Curriculum and NZ Maths.
Teachers are expected to program and plan using documents including:
- Australian Curriculum with NZ Maths
- Meaningful Maths Portal
- Progressive Achievement Test (PAT-M) electronic test – Years 1 – 6
- Walker Learning Approach – Play Matters (Early Years)
- Walker Learning Approach – Engagement Matters (Primary)
- JAM assessment
- GloSS assessment
Links to Resources Used: http://nzmaths.co.nz/ http://www.australiancurriculum.edu.au/